«FC» FunHouse Clan
You can go a long way with a smile... You can go alot further with a smile AND a gun!
«FC»       

Welcome to FunHouse!       

«FC»       

Join us on our Discord server!       

«FC»       

Watch us on Twitch!       

«FC»       

We also have a YouTube channel!       

«FC»       

Keep up to date on our Halo: Combat Evolved servers!       

«FC»     

To view the FunHouse Home page click here.       

«FC»     

How to restore some of GNOMEs features on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

«FC»Crimson

• Administrator
  • Auguste
  • I am the hype! -Vegeta
    • View Profile
    • FunHouse duh!
Ubuntu is pretty awesome, but some things they do just don't make sense. For example, they modify the GNOME desktop to resemble something closer to the old Unity 7 desktop, which is fine, but if you're going to use GNOME, why not offer the default experience too?

GNOME purists will likely go with a more direct approach and completely reinstall the GNOME desktop without the Ubuntu tweaks. My approach is a lot less risky and still keeps the Ubuntu defaults in tact, and whatever changes made can be undone just as easily.

Providing you're not afraid of a little terminal copy and paste, here are a few things I like to install after a fresh copy of Ubuntu...

1.) The GNOME Weather Application

The GNOME Weather Application is useful for, well, weather. Handy for knowing how the day's going to be so you know if you'll need a jacket, shorts, or an umbrella for the day. Quicker than checking a website, as it's widget is tucked away in notifications.

*This will not only restore the app itself, but restore the widget in the notifications panel under the calendar.

To Install
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install gnome-weather
To Remove
sudo apt remove gnome-weather
To Purge (Removes EVERYTHING relating to the package. Useful if you messed up a configuration for the application.)
sudo apt purge gnome-weather
2.) The GNOME Clocks Application

GNOME Clocks is useful for those who need to keep track of different time zones. I live in the Chicago area now, but have made friends in the Las Vegas area when I was growing up. So having this handy in my notifications tray ready to go helps me know exactly what time it is.

*This will not only restore the app itself, but restore the widget in the notifications panel under the calendar.

To Install
sudo apt install gnome-clocks
To Remove
sudo apt remove gnome-clocks
To Purge (Removes EVERYTHING relating to the package. Useful if you messed up a configuration for the application.)
sudo apt purge gnome-clocks
3.) Default GNOME Wallpapers

I really like that GNOME wallpaper that changes throughout the day. NOTE: The gif image above does NOT do it justice. It was a bummer to find that Ubuntu excluded it from their distribution. Let's get those wallpapers back by entering the following...

To Install
sudo apt install gnome-backgrounds
To Remove
sudo apt remove gnome-backgrounds
sudo apt purge gnome-backgrounds
4.) GNOME Extensions Manager

I don't see why Ubuntu chose to exclude this feature/tool, but this is for those who want a simple application that manages extensions without the added features of GNOME Tweaks. This tool can be used to disable Ubuntu's extensions such as the Dock, AppIndicators, and Desktop Icons. To acquire, enter the following...

To Install
sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-prefs
To Remove
sudo apt remove gnome-shell-extension-prefs
sudo apt purge gnome-shell-extension-prefs
5.) GNOME Tweaks

You'll need this easy to use GUI tool to get rid of the Ubuntu Yaru theme and various other modifications Ubuntu made.

To Install
sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
To Remove
sudo apt remove gnome-tweaks
sudo apt purge gnome-tweaks
There's a ton more you can do to modify Ubuntu, but this is meant to be a quick list of terminal commands that restore some of the features of default GNOME. Enjoy!

*Re-Posted from COL
https://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php/topic,6568.0.html